home of the madduck/ blog/
Back home

My last day in Bangkok is hardly worth writing about, I mostly ran around meeting people and trying to get the last things done, before getting on the plane at 23:30 that night. I did meet the Jim Thompson retail manager and had an interesting two and a half hour lunch with her (she is quite a character, and it won't be the last time I've visited her), subsequently went to visit the Jim Thompson museum. Then, I stopped by the dreadful Khaosan Road to pick something up for a friend and left as quickly as I could. The "tourist centre" of Bangkok is now even more horrible than the last time I went there, buzzing with improperly dressed (sex and beach) tourists, and lined with shops ripping them off. I found myself getting rather annoyed watching this crowd, who are all representatives of the West and are thus painting quite a despicable picture.

Coming back to the hotel, I still wasn't allowed to take a shower by the unfriendly hotel staff, but was lucky when an englishman heard my cries and offered his room for a quick rinse. Feeling a lot better, I made my way to the airport and passed the three hours waiting time with my new Murakami book.

The flight itself was okay, despite the Swedish couple next to me. Apparently it must have been their first long distance flight, and they could not get enough "free drinks," so while the guy was stashing away cans of beer into his bag, the girl ordered a beer, whiskey on the rocks, and red wine all at the same time, then kept complaining to her boyfriend that she wasn't feeling well. As I was sitting on the aisle, I had to get up to let one of them out every 15 minutes or so (they refused to climb over me), so you can imagine how I felt when we finally landed in Vienna, 11 hours later. At least they have excellent coffee at the airport to soothe the pain, and by the time I learnt that my Swiss flight back to Zurich was delayed by almost two hours, I had already stopped worrying and just took everything with a smile.

So now I am back home and somewhat sad. Running over to the supermarket to fill the fridge for the weekend was depressive, and I am sort of reluctant to catch on with real life again, but who wouldn't be after any vacation. Enough whining...

My cousin and travel companion on last year's trip to Southeastasia found it amusing that my previous travel reports continuously switched between expressions of displeasure with a certain sight, and statements that I'd have to return soon. Both are true; I have been disappointed a number of times during the time in Myanmar, but I attribute that largely to following the "beaten track," the route all tourists go. Now that I've seen the most popular sights, I am ready to get off the beaten track the next time and get to know the country as it really is, not as it has been shaped to meet the demands of tourists.

As I stated before, I have much more to say about my trip than I am willing to do publicly. In case you are interested in my thoughts, please drop me a line and let me know briefly how I know you, or why you are reading my blog anyway, just so I can make sure that I know who'll be reading my comments. If you have gotten an email from me, advertising the blog before the trip, you need not let me know.

But before you get your hopes up, these aren't going to be revolutionary thoughts I have to keep away from the public; instead, they are just personal ramblings, not censored for the general public.