home of the madduck/ blog/
Successful BIOS flash with flashrom

An older machine of mine previously ran off 7 harddisks, which were added over the years. Initially, there were two 80Gb drives, then one failed and I replaced it with a 160Gb drive, leaving 80Gb of unused space. At some point I had two 120Gb drives, which I also added, and then another 160Gb and a 250Gb drive, and finally I replaced the first 160Gb with a 320Gb one. Between the different RAID1 and RAID5 arrays across these disks, as well as the LVM configuration atop, I had completely lost overview of the assembly. It didn't help that the drives were all IDE (PATA), so you can imagine the cable mess!

When two drives started reporting S.M.A.R.T. errors, I took the opportunity to replace the mess with the four 250Gb SATA drives I had lying around at home. The problem was that two of the four SATA ports apparently didn't work. Hence I went to try a BIOS upgrade for the plain Asus K8V motherboard (Via VT8237 chipset).

I don't remember what floppies look like, and I hate all these DOS-based flasher programs anyway, so this time around I gave flashrom a try (using the outdated version in Debian lenny). I managed to read out the existing ROM image, but even after verifying that it looked very similar to the new one, I was still scared of turning my computer into a brick.

While waiting for people on the #flashrom/irc.freenode.org channel to reassure me, I managed to wipe the saved image and essentially had no other way but to move forward. I used flashrom to verify that the image was written and rebooted…

… and the system came back up, this time with support for all four SATA drives. Thank you, flashrom people!